Ontario Craft Brewers Conference 2012
Brewing Experts, Industry Suppliers, and Start-Ups
Gather for Craft Brewing "Industry Event of the Year
The Ontario Craft Brewers' inaugural annual industry conference and awards show was held on October 19, 2012 at the Hilton Suites in Markham, Ontario. Two hundred and ten people from all walks of the craft brewing world attended the day conference and one hundred people attended the dinner and awards. Ticket sales were so popular, OCB had to move the conference into a larger event space just days before the event.
From some of the largest breweries in Canada, to one-man start ups, attendees received a broad range of information on the craft brewing industry starting with an informative state of the industry report, to technical sessions on brewing, packaging and sustainability from brewing and business experts from Ontario, Canada, U.S. and Europe. Speakers included:
Ontario Craft Brewers Centre of Excellence Industry Choice Awards
- (Keynote): Dr. Roland Folz, Head of Brewing and Beverage Science and Applications, Research and Teaching Institute for Brewing at VLB Berlin, Modern Brewing Technology: Innovation and Trends
- Danielle Wedral, Pall Corporation, Application Specialist, SLS, Food & Beverage, GeneDisc®, Advanced Microbiology Detection Technology for the Craft Brewing Industry
- Uwe Janssen, Sales & Marketing, ROLEC, Flexible Brewhouse Design for the Craft Brewing Industry
- Sebastian Delgado, General Manager & VP Sales, Krones, Packaging Technology for the Craft Brewing Industry
- Ken Belau, Former Head Brewer, Bell's Brewery, Making a Berliner Weisse Style Beer (included a guided tasting of a test batch produced by Ken Belau & Jon Downing, Niagara College)
- Kevin Jones, President and CEO, Bloom Centre for Sustainability, Integrating Sustainability into Business Strategy and Operations to Build Long-Term Success for the Craft Brewing Industry
- Robert Rubenstein, President, Target Marketing Research, State of the Industry Report
The one day conference was followed by dinner and the first Ontario Craft Brewers Centre of Excellence Industry Choice Awards
which recognized contributors of excellence among small, medium and large organizations, supporting the craft brewing industry at the local, regional, national or international level. The winners were:
- Product Quality/Process Innovation: Wellington Brewery
- Marketing Innovation: Beau's All Natural Brewing
- Education Leadership: Niagara College Teaching Brewery
- Food & Beer Matching Development: Mirella Amato, Beerology
- Sustainability Accomplishments: Beau's All Natural Brewing
- Community Building: National Capital Craft Beer Week
The event also had a Suppliers' Marketplace
featuring 21 different industry suppliers exhibiting their products, equipment, technology and services. The Suppliers Marketplace included the following industry suppliers:
- Anton - Paar
- Berg Chilling Systems Inc.
- Brand Concepts Source Solution Inc.
- Canadian Beverage Supply
- Cask Inc.
- Criveller Group
- Diversified Metal Engineering
- GF Piping Systems
- Keg Club Inc.
- Krones Machinery Co. Ltd.
- Kruger Krupack Packaging
- Niagara Research
- Pall Corporation
- Promotional Wood Products Limited
- PCM | Fabricating
- Sealed Air
- UBC-Cool Canada
- United Bottles & Packaging
- Zenan Custom Cresting